Art

'Here are some of the best short quotes about Art'

"Life is short, art is long."
~Hippocrates

"First I saw the mountains in the painting; then I saw the painting in the mountains."
~Chinese Proverb

"Every good painter paints what he is."
~Jackson Pollock

"Painting is very easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do."
~Edgar Degas

"Drawing is deception."
~Maurits Cornelius Escher

"The painting has a life of its own."
~Jackson Pollock

"The fine art of painting, which is the bastard of alchemy, always has been always will be, a game. The rules of the game are quite simple: in a given arena, on as many psychic fronts as the talent allows, one must visually describe, the center of the meaning of existence."
~Brett Whiteley

"An artist has been defined as a neurotic who continually cures himeself with his art."
~Lee Simonson

"Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things."
~Edgar Degas

"The artist can truly understand surface forms only by knowing their underlying structures; their form and behavior under tension, stress, and activity. In a sense, the why of what is."
~Ian Mack

"A line is a dot that goes for a walk."
~Paul Klee

"I remember Francis Bacon would say that he felt he was giving art what he thought it previously lacked. With me, it's what Yeats called the fascination with what's difficult. I'm only trying to do what I can't do."
~Lucian Freud

"Every time I paint a portrait I lose a friend."
~John Singer Sargent

"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for."
~Georgia O'Keeffe

"Painting is a faith, and it imposes the duty to disregard public opinion."
~Vincent van Gogh

"I perhaps owe having become a painter to flowers."
~Claude Monet

"What is drawing? It is working oneself through an invisible iron wall that seems to stand between what one feels and what one can do."
~Vincent van Gogh

"The emotions are sometimes so strong that I work without knowing it. The strokes come like speech."
~Vincent van Gogh

"The artist needs but a roof, a crust of bread, and his easel, and all the rest God gives him in abundance. He must live to paint and not paint to live."
~Albert Pinkham Ryder

"A critic in my house sees some paintings. Greatly perturbed, he asks for my drawings. My drawings? Never! They are my letters, my secrets."
~Paul Gauguin

"Painting is just another way of keeping a diary."
~Pablo Picasso

"Painting is an attempt to come to terms with life. There are as many solutions as there are human beings."
~George Tooker

"Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions."
~Pablo Picasso

"Life obliges me to do something, so I paint."
~Rene Magritte

Popular Quotes